A perfect sewing pattern to make a soft toy or keepsake elephant. Edgar will look fabulous made in fur or fabric. Your completed elephant will be 35cm (13 1/2″) tall when seated. He has moveable button jointed arms and legs, and a lovely curled under trunk. This pattern includes 5 pages of fully described pattern and 5 pages of pattern pieces. There is also a photo tutorial with a photo of EVERY step of this pattern HERE.
With this elephant sewing pattern
you will be able to sew a lovely elephant. He or she can sit or stand as the arms and legs move – there are photos to help you create the button joints. Edgar elephant has big ears and a little gather stitch under his trunk so it curls under.
Your elephant will measure 35cm (13 1/2″) tall when seated, 28cm (11″) wide from side to side, and 21cm (8″) from front to back. When standing he or she will be 47cm (18 1/2″) tall.
I have a Facebook group for makers of my patterns HERE I would love you to join and show your completed makes. This group is full of lovely suportive makers who can help you if you get stuck and they will be delighted to see your completed Edgar the elephant sewing pattern.
*** Please note this is a PDF download pattern only NOT a paper pattern or a keepsake or soft toy ***
Copyright terms and conditions
It is not permissible to make a copy of this sewing pattern except for your own use. It is not permissible to share this pattern either in person, by post or by email. It is not permissible to sell this sewing pattern or a copy of it on to another person.
It is permissible to sell an item that you have made from this pattern in small quantities – for example as keepsake bears and soft toys to sell through your inperson or online shop or at craft fairs. Please include the information that your keepsakes / soft toys are made with a pattern from Rachel Leggett at messystork.com in online descriptions and on Instagram please tag me at @rachel.at.messystork . It is permissible to add or remove a limited number of features to this pattern eg altering the ears / adding a tail etc, please then state in the description that your item is made with a pattern from messystork.com with added / altered etc. If you have any queries regarding this please email me at email@example.com
Notions for your elephant sewing pattern
- Fabric: 1/2 m will make the whole elephant.
- To make the hands and feet a different colour you will need a piece of fabric 15cm x 15cm. To make the ears in a different fabric you will need a piece 30cm x 20cm
- If you would like stiffer slightly plumper ears, use iron on fleece 30cm across x 20cm tall
- Interfacing: I have used a medium weight iron on woven cotton interfacing
- Eyes: 18mm craft eyes
- Buttons: 4 buttons. The ones I have used are 22mm wide
- Dental tape or strong upholstery thread to attach the arms and legs and create the gathered section at the bottom of the elephant’s trunk
- Doll needle to attach the arms and legs
- Toy stuffing and a plastic chopstick, or something similar that is long with a blunt end, to insert the stuffing
- Plus: pins, cotton thread that matches your fabric, hand sewing needles, scissors, plus pinking shears if you have them and a sewing machine